Smile and smile big! Your smile looks much prettier when you keep your teeth clean and white (tidy in other sense). There are commercially available teeth whitening products but they can be expensive, and since you have no idea what ingredients they use, and what are its side effects. So, it’s better to rely on natural products. They’re not only cheap, but also safe and effective. Check some of the natural home remedies to whiten your teeth.
1) Lemon and Baking Soda: Using either of these ingredients will do just fine but together they work even better. Mix baking soda with a teaspoon of lemon juice and brush your teeth with it once a week. An alternate is to mix baking soda with ½ teaspoon of vinegar and brush using this mixture once a week. Be careful not to overdo it (i.e. brushing everyday) as it may irritate your gums.
2) Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide: Just gargle some FGHP (food-grade hydrogen peroxide) in your mouth for a few seconds and spit it out. Or you can mix FGHP with water (50/50) and gargle for 60 seconds. Not only does it leave your mouth feeling refreshed, but it also whitens your teeth and prevents bacterial growth.
3) Apple Cider Vinegar: Another effective home teeth whitening remedy is apple cider vinegar. Just like baking soda and FGHP, you just need to gargle it in your mouth for a minute, spit it out and then brush normally. If you don’t like the taste, combine it with water (50/50 solution). Since it’s potent, use only once a week as it might cause irritation.
4) Oil Pulling: Prepare 1 tbsp of pure organic oil and gargle in your mouth for 10 minutes. While the oil is still in your mouth, let the liquid flow around your teeth. After 10 minutes spit it out and rinse your mouth. Drink 2 glasses of water afterwards and brush your teeth. Unlike other teeth whitening procedures, this is safe enough to do every two or three days.
5) Table Salt: Combine table salt with water (as much salt as you can handle) and use it as a mouthwash. Gargle for 30 seconds, spit it out and then brush with toothpaste. Salt has some antibacterial properties, but it isn’t as potent as baking soda. Nevertheless, it’s still effective and you should see results after just a few uses.
6) Flossing: Daily flossing is a simple but effective way to remove stains and make your teeth appear whiter. To achieve the best results, floss twice daily.
7) Eat Strawberries: Strawberries are rich in vitamin C, malic acid and natural astringents, all of which help remove teeth stains and wash plaque away. Simply mash some strawberries and use it as toothpaste. By brushing with strawberries twice a week, and then brushing normally afterwards, your teeth will become whiter. There’s no need to “strawberry brush” daily, as twice weekly will be just fine.
Some also use diluted bleach for teeth whitening. If you want to try this, mix a teaspoon of very, very diluted Clorox in 1 L or 1 quart of water. Swish it all over your teeth for half a minute then spit the liquid out. While some people swear by it, you need to be very careful and avoid swallowing the liquid.
Follow these to whiten your teeth at home. If you come across more of home remedy to whiten your teeth, I would love to hear it from you through comments. Say Cheese!
May 16, 2012