Stretch marks have been a very common problem in the people of different age groups residing in any part of the world and hence the most common question in the people is how to get rid of stretch marks? For any problem getting a cure is easy but one has to know to how to avoid it from getting affected again. So for this, one has to know what is a stretch mark?, and then should know the common causes for stretch marks. The common procedures to get rid of stretch marks are applying topical creams and lotions, surgery, home remedies like diet and exercises.
In dermatological terms it is called as ‘striae’ which is a scar formed on the skin due to the tearing down of dermis which is going to diminish after some period of time. Micro bleeding in the skin tissues will occur when the dermis layer is damaged due to intense stretching. When there is no proper support from the inner layer of the skin it forms a red purplish scar on the skin surface.
1. Obesity and rapid weight gain: Increased weight is one of the common causes for stretch mark. Due to obesity and weight gain there will be accumulation of fats which makes the skin to stretch. Deposition of fats will be most common in the areas like breast, inner thighs and outer thighs, under arms, abdomen and hips. So try to follow some weight losing tips to get rid of stretch mark.
2. Growth Spurt: Between the age 10 to 16 there will be increased growth in every individual which is called as “growth spurt”. Due to this fast growth the skin connective tissues cannot fit together and there will be break down of tissues. As the body grows more and more the stretch mark will increase. This is normal in every personal and there is no need to worry about it much as it will disappear over time.
3. Weight lifting: Today young boys love to have a good mass body so they involve in many weight lifting exercises. In this case there will be increased strain on skin and as the muscle grows in faster rate compared to the skin growth, there will be increased stress on the skin surface. This will tear up the dermis layer and leads to stretch mark. The stretch marks due to weight lifting will be seen in areas like arms and shoulders.
4. Pregnancy: This is the vital stage for most of the women to develop stretch marks. According to the stats 90% of the women will have stretch marks developed in the abdominal part during pregnancy. This is caused due to separation of collagen and some times it will lead to itching sensation under the lower abdomen. In medical terminology stretch marks formed during pregnancy is called as “striae gravidarium”.
5. Hormones: Hormones plays a very important role in every individual’s growth. They act as messengers for proper body growth. When there is a reduced secretion of hormone, there will be reduced development of elastin and collagen which is very important for maintaining the skin elasticity. When there is a normal body growth and reduced elasticity of the skin, there will be stretch mark caused due to breaking of connecting tissues. This can happen in any personal of any age group.
1. Apply moisturizer: According to the studies people who have applied moisturizers to clear of the stretch marks have got good improvements as it will increase the elasticity of the skin. This is because the moisturizers will hydrate the part of the skin and make the skin to be more flexible and elastic thus reduces the stretch marks. So if you want to avoid the stretch marks in future apply the moisturizer or lotions on the part of the skin where you are expecting to get the stretch mark. If you want to clear of the old stretch marks then it is not a best option. Try to use the moisturizers having the Aloe Vera or Olive oil as the primary ingredients as they are very good moisturizing agents and also they will not have any side affects.
2. Apply retinoic acid cream: Retinoids are Vitamin A compound which will increase the production of collagen in skin. Collagen is very essential for the elastic nature of the skin. Apply retinoic acid cream on the affected area or the area where you are expecting the stretch mark. Please avoid this cream if you are a pregnant woman because it will lead to birth defects in the baby. This is will not have a good effect on the existing stretch mark. If you have applied this cream then try to avoid the direct sunlight on that part as it will cause burning sensation.
3. Apply glycolic acid: When glycolic acid is applied on the area of stretch mark it will increase the collagen production on that area and thereby will increase the elasticity of the skin. It belongs to the family of alpha-hydroxy acid which used in skin peel compounds. This is very safe to use for pregnancy woman and it will cure the stretch marks when it is applied periodically along with retinoic acid cream. As of retinoic acid you should be very careful by not getting exposed to sun light.
4. Vitamin E oil: Vitamin E oil is also considered to clear of the stretch marks when combined with any of the moisturizers. Vitamin E oil is very good for maintaining the healthy skin and it is safe to use this oil by pregnant woman.
5. Laser treatment for stretch mark: Pulse dye laser is very effective for the stretch marks which have spurted out freshly. It is also called as vascular laser treatment where laser will be set at 585 nm. It will cost more approximately of and this treatment should be applied 3 to 6 times. Pulse dye laser treatment is not good for people with dark color. If you have got old stretch marks make use of fractional laser treatment. This is also called as resurfacing treatment where the laser will be focused for the edges of the stretch marks to make it smooth. This treatment should be taken thrice and it will cost around each. Scars and hyper-pigmentation are the side effects from this treatment.
1. Make use of essential oil: Essential oils are considered to be the best home remedy for the stretch marks. One can apply them directly on the affected are or can make use of a carrier like coconut oil or any moisturizing agent. Myrrh, Rose, Helichrysum, Lavender, Geranium and Frankincense are the most common preferred essential oils to treat stretch marks.
2. Diet and Exercises: Do not eat more spicy and junk foods as it will adversely affect the skin health. Have a proper diet plans and involve in mild stretching exercises to clear of the stretch marks. Consume foods which are rich in Vitamin A, C and proteins. Foods like carrot, milk and egg will help to maintain a healthy skin.
3. Hydration: Water plays a very important role for maintaining healthy body. So for healthy skin without stretch marks, drink more and more water. This will hydrate the skin more and increases the elasticity of the skin.
There is no need to worry much when you have got stretch marks. Follow the simple and easy steps presented above to avoid stretch marks. Make use of all these tips to maintain the skin fairness by getting rid of stretch marks.
Subscribe to our email newsletter.