There are all sorts of reasons to take herbal supplements – and as medicine is one of the more popular reasons. We can use herbal supplements to help us with all manner of ailments. From issues in digestion through to increasing our white cell count.
One of the medicinal areas that herbs are at their strongest is treating breathing issues. There can be many reasons for problems breathing, so it is vital that you get diagnosed by a doctor and follow their advice.
Herbal medicine should be used in conjunction with any medicine that your doctor prescribes, and you should let your doctor know which herbs you intend to use alongside your medicines, to ensure that there is no reaction between the two.
Ok, with the warnings out of the way, let’s take a look at the 5 most powerful herbs for helping to address breathing problems.
Trouble Breathing? Try These 5 Great Herbs
1. Hyssop. Hyssop has been used to help with respiratory issues for thousands of years. In fact some have speculated that it even helped Jesus with such issues!
Hyssop oil is antiviral, so helps to fight off viral infections in the respiratory system. IT is also used to help loosen phlegm, allowing you to cough it up and remove it from your body, where it can be causing issues breathing.
2. Mullein. Used by Indians to help them with such issues as asthma and bronchitis. Laboratory testing has shown that mullein has both antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. This means it can reduce swelling in the airways, allowing you to breath easier. The antibacterial properties allows you to help fight off bacterial infection far easier.
3. Licorice. Licorice is what is known as a demulcent. A demulcent helps to lubricate tissue, especially in the airways, reduce swelling and easing the pain of inflamed tissue. They also help to reduce the spasms that come with coughing.
4. Peppermint. Peppermint is very strong in a substance called menthol. Menthol can be used to help clear congested airways and nasal tracts – in fact it is what is used in hospitals and the like. So using peppermint is simply a natural way of using the menthol to help clear blockages. It works by relaxing certain muscles and other aspects of your airways.
5. Lavender. Lavender is a powerful antibacterial herb. It can be used to fight off all sorts of infections thanks to the volatile oils that it contains. It is used to treat such illnesses as typhoid, streptococcus, colds, pneumonia and more.
Obviously these are not the only 5 herbs for breathing issues. But they are a great place to start.
Subscribe to our email newsletter.